by ed2go instructor, Chris Minnick
Whether your website’s goal is to sell products or services, gain readers, or raise awareness; the most common goal of all website owners is to get more traffic or visitors.
Gaining visitors to a website can be difficult, however. There are millions of websites, and no matter what your website is about, you likely have thousands of competitors who are all trying to reach a limited number of people.
The most effective way to gain new visitors is by showing up in the first couple of results on page one of the search engine for various targeted key terms. Research has shown that 91% of searchers don’t go past page one of search results, so showing up anywhere beyond page two is practically the same as not showing up at all.
The following are five tips you can apply to be well on your way to higher search engine positions and additional visitors.
1. Discover popular keywords with little competition. Look for words that convey your message, and that people commonly search for, but that aren’t being used by the competition!
2. Make your website fast. By fast, I mean crazy blazing fast. If your site loads faster than your competition’s, Google counts that in your favor when deciding which site to show higher in the results.
3. Make your website mobile-friendly. Google cares a lot about mobile — because users care about mobile. More than half of all searches are now done using mobile devices, so if you’re not mobile-friendly, you’re throwing away potential traffic opportunities.
4. Make your website secure. Serving your site over a secure (https) connection is becoming one of the easiest and most sure-fire ways to get a real boost in search engine positions.
5. Write, write, write! The most important factor in getting high search engine positions is to have great content. The more high-quality content you have, the better your chances will be of some piece of content catching on and getting real traction with readers.
One thing you may notice that’s missing from this list is the old recommendation to focus on building links to your content. Link building has been widely abused by less ethical marketers, and search engines have become much less reliant on links to indicate quality as a result. Your best bet regarding links these days is to let them happen organically because you have such great content, rather than actively seeking to gain links.
After you’ve gotten people to visit your site for the first time, getting them to return again and again should be your next goal. I’ll talk more about this in a future post.
About our ed2go instructor