A successful fitness business is about more than burning calories and building muscles. To be competitive in the business world, you need to know about strategic planning, accounting, marketing, human resources, customer relations, and more. The Fitness Business Management Program will prepare you to implement a successful business system in private or commercial health clubs, medically-based fitness facilities, community wellness centers, personal training studios, physical therapy clinics, YMCAs, JCCs, college centers, recreational settings, or corporate fitness centers. This program was developed to establish an industry standard in fitness management education.
This certificate program includes:
- The planning process for starting a new venture
- Common approaches to developing a strategic business plan for specific types of health and fitness-related facilities
- An introduction to financial and managerial accounting concepts
- Exploration of how successful marketing and branding guide a company's business strategy
- The organization and administration of for-profit and not-for-profit health and fitness facilities
A competitive advantage offered in this program is the Optional Field Internship. Students who take advantage of this option will be able to practice the fitness management concepts they've learned about through a six-week, 60-hour internship in a health and fitness setting.
This program is offered in partnership with the IDEA Health & Fitness Association, Health Club Managers, Inc., and Personal Fitness Professional (PFP). IDEA provided content and curriculum for the program, and, as a student, you'll receive a complimentary six-month subscription to the digital edition of IDEA Fitness Journal. Health Club Managers, Inc., a health club staff and management training company, provides graduating certificate students with a preferred discount on their services. PFP provides students with a free three-year subscription. The subscription includes eight print issues of their magazine per year, a bi-monthly e-newsletter, a digital magazine, and access to an interactive Web site with blogs, polls, articles, and much more.
Continuing Education Credits/Units
The following national organizations and associations have approved this Fitness Business Management Program for CEC/CEUs:
- The American Senior Fitness Association (SFA): 2.0 CEUs per program
- The Health and Fitness Professionals Association (HFPA): 30 CECs per program and 60 CECs for the Optional Field Internship
- The National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF): 10 CEUs per program
- The National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT): 1 CEC per program, equivalent to an entire six-month CEC requirement
- The National Strength and Professional Association (NSPA): 2 CEUs per program
Upon registering, you're given an initial six months to complete this program. If you need more time beyond the six months, an extension of six months is available with a fee of $300.