Whether you are a health or medical professional, a registered dietitian, a fitness professional, or just someone who's concerned about their own health, the Nutrition for Optimal Health, Wellness, and Sports program will teach you about developing individualized nutritional programs. You'll explore topics such as energy and nutrient needs for daily living, with emphasis on particular physical activities, common myths and fallacies concerning diet and athletic performance, and appropriate behavioral modifications and dietary approaches for different ages and populations.
Content and curriculum in each module is designed to prepare allied health care professionals and registered dietitians to apply their client's health history toward optimal nutritional health and wellbeing. Personal trainers and fitness professionals will learn fundamental nutrition education to use with clients in partnership with registered dietitians. Individuals interested in learning more about nutrition, daily meal planning, wellness strategies, and sport nutrition and performance will discover information to help them achieve their own goals or to support family members in reaching their goals.
This certificate program includes:
- An examination of what to eat and how to decrease the incidence of many common diseases
- The principles behind helping people in any stage of their lifecycle to set and achieve weight goals, while working in conjunction with a registered dietitian
- The specific nutrients that need to be increased in your diet as you age
- The facts about fad diets
- The principles of healthy meal planning for athletes
- Safe sport supplements, such as protein powders or bars, creatine, and sport drinks
- The truth behind vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
Continuing Education Credits
The Commission on Dietetic Registration, the credentialing agency for the American Dietetic Association (ADA), has approved this program for 120 Continuing Professional Education Units (CPEUs), or 40 (CPEUs) per each individual program taken separately for both registered dietitians and dietetic technician-registered.
The following national organizations and associations have approved the Nutrition for Optimal Health, Wellness, and Sports Online Program for Continuing Education Credits/Units (CECs/CEUs):
- The American Senior Fitness Association: 2.0 CEUs per program
- The Health and Fitness Professionals Association: 30 CECs per program
- The National Council on Strength and Fitness: 10 CEUs per program
- The National Federation of Professional Trainers: 1 CEC per program, equivalent to an entire six-month CEC requirement
- The National Strength Professional Association: 2 CEUs per program
Upon registering, you're given an initial six months to complete this program. Should you need more time beyond the six months, an extension of six months is available with a fee of $300.