Students must have:
- An IBM-compatible (PC) computer running Windows 98 or any later version up to Windows XP and Windows Vista. The Medical Terminology portion of this program is compatible with both Windows 7 and IE9
- This program is compatible with Internet Explorer (version 7 and later) and the latest versions of Firefox, Safari, and Chrome
- A CD-ROM drive
- Access to a word-processing program, preferably Microsoft Word
- Internet access. While the program will work from a dial-up connection, high-speed internet access (like DSL or Cable) is recommended.
- A sound card or integrated sound support
- A headset or speakers.
Important Note: You can take this program on a PC or a Mac; however, if you are using a Mac, you will not be able to use the optional StudyWare included in the textbook.
ed2go will provide the following materials:
Medical Billing and Coding
- Understanding Medical Coding: A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd Edition, by Sandra L. Johnson and Robin Linker
- Workbook to Accompany Understanding Medical Coding: A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd Edition, by Sandra L. Johnson and Robin Linker
- CPT Standard 2013, 1st Edition
- ICD-9-CM Expert for Physicians, Volumes 1 & 2 – 2014
- 2013 HCPCS Level II
- Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary, 3rd edition
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions, 6th edition
Students should be proficient in keyboarding, have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program (Microsoft Word is recommended), and have a command of English grammar and punctuation. No healthcare work experience is required.
In order to sit for the national certification exam, candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent; therefore, it is recommended you have this before enrolling for this program.