Medical Billing and Coding is a nationally-recognized online program that will prepare you for an entry-level career in the healthcare industry. So, what will you be doing as a medical biller and coder? Billing and coding specialists assign industry codes to patient records for procedures performed. These codes are used to bill insurance companies and third-parties to collect fees not rendered by the patient.
Within this program, you’ll also learn human anatomy and physiology to help you better understand the codes applied to specific diagnosis and procedures.
You’ll learn the three main code sets used within the industry: ICD-10/ICD-9, CPT, and HCPCS. This program will prepare you to sit for national certification exams offered by National Healthcareer Association (NHA) and American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). Upon successful completion of this program, you will be provided a paid exam voucher for the NHA Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) exam.
|Prepares you for:
What Will I Learn?
This program takes a comprehensive approach to teaching the ins and outs of medical billing and coding. You’ll learn foundational knowledge, like computer skills and billing software, as well as the essentials in health information management and physiology.
In addition to learning the fundamentals of billing, you’ll learn the different code sets used within the industry and have plenty of hands-on practice, to prepare you for your new career.
- Know legal concepts within the healthcare industry and HIPAA rules and regulations
- Learn how to develop an insurance claim, and how to abstract diagnoses and procedures from medical records
- Know and assign ICD-10, ICD-9, CPT, and HCPCS Level II codes
- Abstract diagnoses and procedures from medical records and interpret the information contained on a remittance advice
- Understand electronic data interchange (EDI) in healthcare
- Know and identify human anatomy, surgical terms, clinical procedures, medications, and the origin of medical words
Possible Careers Include…
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Insurance Billing Representative
- Billing Manager
- Outpatient Medical Billing and Coding Specialist