With the Medical Billing and Coding (MBC) online program, you will gain the skills you need to enter one of the fastest-growing fields in allied health as a medical billing specialist, medical coder, or medical office manager.
In this program, you will gain hands-on, practical experience working with the main coding manuals in the field, the ICD-9-CM and the CPT. You will also master the legal, ethical, and regulatory concepts that are central to this field.
Upon completion of this program, you will be ready to begin your career in an entry-level position, or to take the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) national certification exam offered by National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Medical Billing and Coding
Discover the following Medical Billing and Coding responsibilities:
- Learn the steps of diagnostic coding and study the ICD-9-CM coding manual
- Study complex body systems, including infectious and parasitic diseases and neoplasms
- Learn diseases of the following systems: endocrine system, blood and blood-forming organs, nervous system, sense organs, circulatory system, respiratory system, digestive system, and the genitourinary system
- Examine how to code conditions relating to pregnancy, skin and subcutaneous tissue, the musculoskeletal system, and newborn conditions
- Learn diagnostic coding education with more complex body systems
- Continue diagnostic coding education for V and E codes
- Learn how to apply codes to Evaluation and Management (E/M) encounters
- Learn about types of health insurance, how to complete a health insurance claim form (CMS-1500), and how providers are reimbursed for their services
Learn how to use the CPT coding manual to code the following procedures, services, and treatments:
- Anesthesia services and surgical procedures of most of the body systems, including digestive, hemic and lymphatic, urinary, male and female reproductive systems, endocrine, and nervous system
- Procedures for the Integumentary, musculoskeletal and cardiovascular systems
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Radiology, pathology and laboratory, and medicine—and explore another procedure coding system called Healthcare Procedural Coding System (HCPCS)