Students must have:
- An IBM-compatible (PC) computer running Windows XP (Service Pack 2), Windows Vista, or Windows 7. The MOSS 2.0 software required for this course is not compatible with Windows 8.
- Internet Explorer (version 7 and later, with the exception of version 10) or the latest versions of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. The MOSS 2.0 software required for this course is not compatible with Internet Explorer 10.
- A CD-ROM drive (for installing the Medical Office Simulation Software (MOSS©)
- Access to a word-processing program, preferably Microsoft Word
- Internet access. While the program will work from a dial-up connection, high-speed Internet access (like DSL or Cable) is recommended
- Adobe Reader (free download online)
- Sound card or integrated sound support
- Computer speakers or headphones
MOSS 2.0 is compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 2), Vista, and Windows 7. This software is not compatible with Windows 8/ Internet Explorer 10.
Important Note: A Mac computer will not work for this course.
ed2go will provide the following materials:
Administrative Medical Specialist
- Administrative Medical Assisting, 7th edition, by Marilyn T. Fordney, Linda L. French, and Joan J. Follis
- Administrative Medical Assisting Workbook
- Getting Started in the Computerized Medical Office: Fundamentals and Practice with Medical Office Simulation Software (MOSSv2)
- Getting Started in the Computerized Medical Office Workbook
Medical Billing and Coding
- Understanding Medical Coding: A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd Edition, by Sandra L. Johnson and Robin Linker
- Workbook to Accompany Understanding Medical Coding: A Comprehensive Guide, 3rd Edition, by Sandra L. Johnson and Robin Linker
- CPT Standard 2013, 1st Edition
- ICD-9-CM Expert for Physicians, Volumes 1 & 2 – 2014
- 2013 HCPCS Level II
- Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary, 3rd edition
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions, 6th edition
Students should be proficient in keyboarding, have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program (Microsoft Word is recommended), and have a command of English grammar and punctuation. No healthcare work experience is required.
In order to sit for the national certification exam, candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent; therefore, it is recommended you have this before enrolling for this program.