Medical Transcription Requirements:
This program is compatible with the Windows XP and later operating systems, with the exception of Windows 8 or 8.1. It is not compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1. It is compatible with IE 7 and later browsers, with the exception of IE 11. It is not compatible with IE 11. You should have Microsoft Word installed.
The ancillary CDs that accompany the primary textbook are not yet Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Mac compatible. We strongly recommended that students only use PCs for this program. This program is not Mac compatible.
ed2go provides each student with digital transcription equipment, which includes a headset, a foot pedal, and digital transcription software (available via download through the license distributed upon registration). The system requirements for these items are:
- Microsoft Word (any version)
- Windows Vista/2008 or 2000/XP/2003 or Windows 7 or above
- Sound card or integrated sound support
- 32 MB RAM
- 25 MB hard-disk space (additional space required to store voice fields)
- Double-speed CD-ROM drive
- Available USB Port
- Internet access—a high-speed connection is recommended
- Active e-mail account
- Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Acrobat Reader (available via free Internet download)
ed2go provides the required textbooks for this program. The following textbooks are included:
- Hillcrest Beginning Medical Transcription (with audio)
- Medical Abbreviations
- The Dictated Word
- Grammar and Punctuation Guide
- Stedman’s Medical Dictionary, 28th ed.
ed2go recommends, but does not require, that students purchase the following reference book for their own professional use. This book is not required for the program but will be a helpful reference for any professional in this field.
The Book of Style for Medical Transcription, 3rd edition (AHDI)
Medical Terminology Requirements:
Before enrolling in Medical Terminology, please make sure you have internet access, an email account, as well as the following technical requirements:
- - Compatible operating system: Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.8, Mac 10.9
- - Screen resolution: 1024x768 or greater
- - Firefox 35.0 or later; Or Chrome 42.0 or later
- - Allow pop-ups, as windows will open in a new tab
- - Adobe Flash Player and Acrobat Reader
- - Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- - Click here to download the Flash Player.
- - A USB headset to aid with recording pronunciations, though this is not required to use the tool
ed2go will provide the required textbook for this program, Medical Terminology for Health Professions.
To take this program, you'll need the following prerequisite skills:
- The ability to create documents using Microsoft Word (any version). All reports submitted to the instructor for grading must be created using Microsoft Word (MS Works, Corel Word Perfect, or other word processing programs are NOT compatible).
- Proficiency in keyboarding. Accuracy is most important at first, but some jobs pay based on production, so speed will become a factor.
- E-mail capabilities.
- Internet-browsing capabilities. You may need to use the Internet to look up information on medical terms, drugs, procedures, etc., when you can't find them in your reference books.
- Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. When changing the spoken word to the written word, all these aspects of language become even more vital.
- The ability to discern what is being said, and more importantly, what is meant, even if the person dictating has accented speech.
- The ability to comply with the student-led, self-motivated aspects of this program.
This program is for you if you possess the skills listed above and you're interested in gaining the education necessary to enter the medical transcription field.