Don’t know what to wear to an interview? You’re not alone. One of the most stressful aspects about preparing for an interview is often about deciding what to wear. If you didn’t get a chance to ask about the company dress policy when scheduling your interview, don’t stress; we’re here to help.
Interview attire should be professional, subdued, and should give your interviewer the impression that you’re capable of handling the position for hire. With that, here are some important tips:
- Grey and navy are considered “power colors” and give the impression that you’re leadership material.
- Stay away from bright colors or distracting patterns.
- Make sure buttons are correctly buttoned and any zippers are zipped.
- Sock should match your pants, or should compliment them.
Sample outfits for men and women are:
- Make sure your hair and facial hair are clean and neatly groomed.
- Avoid intricate hairstyles or distracting hair clips.
- If using perfume or cologne, don’t overdo it. One light spritz is just the right amount.
- Ensure clothing is free from stains or tears.
- Nails should be clean and neatly trimmed. Ladies, ensure your nails are free from chipped polish.
- If worn, makeup should be light and subtle.
Clothing and grooming aside, the most important thing to have during your interview is confidence. After you’ve dressed the part, make sure you’re friendly and self-assured that you’re the right candidate for the position.