UNIX Administration Basics
Today, UNIX is used on an assortment of machines found in the business world like servers, mainframes and even supercomputers. This 100% online course will train you in the fundamental theories and uses of Unix. In addition, you will be prepared to earn a UNIX-based certification after gaining work experience. By course completion, you will be ready to work an entry-level Unix positions such as system engineer, system analyst, IT specialist or programmer analyst.
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Discover central syntax and commands
- Navigate and use the file system and develop file management strategies
- Discover the relationship with UNIX and networking, security, and applications
How you will benefit
- Prepare for UNIX-based certifications to prove a standard of knowledge
- Prepare for information technology positions that involve UNIX services
- Apply basic UNIX management services to information technology roles
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 75 course hours
- Overview and Getting Started
- Using UNIX and File Management
- Internet, Networks, and Input/Outputs
- Multitasking and Non-UNIX Systems
David M. Grimes is the lead instructor for this course and is joined by other subject-matter experts and technical personnel to present an informative and satisfying course experience. Mr. Grimes has more than 10 years of management and leadership experience in the private and non-profit sectors. He is passionate about technology and education, having worked as an academic dean, student services director technology coordinator, teacher, consultant, and technology columnist. He holds a Master of Education and a Bachelor of Science from Ohio State University, both in Technology Education.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
You may be assigned with an instructor or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via email) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our instructors are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.