Child Development Associate Training
Do you love working with kids? A career in child care could be perfect for you. This online course in childcare and education will allow you to earn your national Child Development Associate (CDA) certification and achieve your career goals as a teacher or child care professional. This convenient, affordable CDA class allows you to work at your own pace in a flexible, self-directed online learning environment—and go on to a fulfilling career shaping the minds of the future.
The Child Development...
George Mason University
What you will learn
- The development stages for infants, toddlers, and pre-school-age children.
- How to establish positive and productive relationships with personnel, parents and families, and children.
- How to effectively manage a child care facility.
- Procedures and strategies to provide a safe and enriching child care environment.
How you will benefit
- Complete the professional development requirements you will need in order to apply for the National CDA Credential.
- Prepare for a career as an elementary or middle school teacher, substitute teacher, preschool or child care provider, or nanny or babysitter.
- Earn a certificate of completion you can add to your resume and use as a stepping stone to career success!
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 120 course hours
- Child Care & Education Courses – 12 CEUs
- Childcare & Education I
- Semester 1: Business Aspects of Child Care Facilities
- Semester 2: Personnel Techniques and Procedures
- Childcare & Education II
- Semester 1: Establishing positive relationships with parents and families
- Semester 2: Providing a safe and secure child care environment
- Childcare & Education III
- Semester 1: Development stages for infants, toddlers, and pre-school age children
- Semester 2: Effective techniques for fostering positive self esteem
- Childcare & Education IV
- Semester 1: Early childhood academic and enrichment activities
- Semester 2: Managing behaviors, resolving conflicts
- Childcare & Education I
Darlene Lawrence is an academic coach and childcare and education instructor with five years of experience. She holds a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master's degree in teaching.
Though there are no prerequisites for taking the Child Care & Education courses, however, employers in the Child Care field may require a high school diploma.
This course provides you with the education requirements needed to obtain your credential. Learn more about the CDA application requirements.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes. After finishing this course, you will have completed a self-study CDA certificate that meets the 120 clock hours of professional development required by the Council for Professional Recognition in order to obtain the National CDA Credential.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
You may be assigned with an instructor or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via email) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our instructors are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.
When you complete your CDA training online with ed2go, you can study at your own pace and finish the 120 hours of required coursework in six months or less. The time to complete the remaining requirements for your CDA Credential will depend on your previous work experience and how quickly you complete your application.
The CDA Credential shows employers that you are a true professional, with the skills and experience needed to be successful in working with children. It is therefore useful in many different fields, including preschool and elementary school teacher, teaching assistant, nanny, and child care provider.