UTEP was founded in 1913 as the Texas School of Mines and Metallurgy, and became a part of The University of Texas System in 1919, joining U.T. Austin and the U.T. Medical Branch in Galveston. In 1949, our name was changed to Texas Western College which we remained until 1967 when our name was again changed to The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). Classified as a "Doctoral/Research - Intensive" university within the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, UTEP is nationally recognized for hands-on research experiences afforded graduate and undergraduate students. UTEP offers 81 bachelor's and 72 master's degrees in a broad range of academic fields, and doctoral degrees in geological sciences, computer engineering, pathobiology, materials science and engineering, psychology, environmental science and engineering, and educational leadership and administration.
Be the first to learn about new courses, promotions and more!