Digital Arts Certificate
Looking to make your mark in the digital arts? The Digital Arts Online Training course will give you the education you need. You'll gain hands-on experience in fundamental technical and creative skills in digital imaging, traditional drawing, and digital illustration. You will master the intricacies of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, build your understanding of color, and explore the representation of form through vector illustration and drawing.
Hands-on projects focus on core skills and provide you with experience in traditional and digital media. Class assignments include digital imaging, vector drawing, traditional drawing, color and composition, and editorial illustration.
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Demonstrate entry-level professional Photoshop skills and effective decisions in selecting and editing images
- Exhibit a sophisticated use of color and contrast, the ability to research colors and make choices that are appropriate for each client and project
- Create vector art illustrations in Illustrator, using shape drawing and freehand drawing/tracing tools, Pen tool, type tools, and basic effects
- Develop basic line drawings using pencil and paper following the principles of perspective and proportion
- Be able to use color sampling, meshes, blends, masks, 3D tools, and tiles in Illustrator to create both realistic and stylized artwork
- Develop drawing skills that show the ability to analyze a subject, represent realistic form and perspective, manipulate colors, and reflect contemporary stylistic approaches
- Create straightforward, balanced, and stylized icons, sequential illustrations, logos, and editorial illustrations using Illustrator's shape tools, freehand drawing tools, and classic illustration techniques
How you will benefit
- Master Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and use these programs for projects in both your personal and professional life
- Set yourself apart from competitors by receiving a Digital Arts Certificate
- Jump-start your career in graphic design, fine art, visual marketing, and more
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 12 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 360 course hours
- Photoshop Basics
- Color Theory
- Illustrator Basics
- Intro to Drawing
- Illustrator Advanced
- Drawing I
- Digital Illustration Advanced
Andrew Shalat is an author, designer/illustrator, educator, and Mac expert. Since 1985, he has written hundreds of articles about Macs and has published three books: "How to Do Everything with Online Video," "Do It Yourself Mac Projects," and "MacDesign Out of the Box." He has been a speaker and faculty member of the Macworld Expo since 2001. Shalat is also a regular contributor to design and Mac related sites including Inside Mac Radio, InDesign Magazine, and Creativepro.com, and MacWorld.
Jordon Schranz is a New York/New Mexico-based visual artist, musician, curator, and educator whose work focuses on the idea of social and political interaction and their underlying cultural structures. Jordon earned his BFA in Painting from the Maryland Institute College of Art. Currently he is working in Las Cruces, New Mexico on an extensive project based on security camera footage and themed around issues of privacy and surveillance. In addition, Jordon is an active member of the New York experimental music scene, regularly curating, performing, recording, and promoting avant-rock, free jazz, noise, and experimental music performances in addition to running Tigerasylum. Jordon is the Director of Fine Arts for the Sessions Online School of Fine Arts and an instructor at the Las Cruces Museum of Art and the Preston Contemporary Art Center.
Michael Hamm is a freelance designer and web developer with over a decade of experience in the creative field. Based in Washington state, Michael provides design solutions for clients across the country through his company ClayEdward Design. Prior to working on his own, Michael worked for JPMorgan Chase in Houston, Texas as an interactive designer. His work has been published in various web design books and magazines and he is a regular contributor to Layers Magazine. In addition, he has served as technical editor on several design books published by Friends of Ed. Michael recently co-authored Introduction to Web Design Using Dreamweaver published by Glencoe/McGraw-Hill. Michael is an Adobe Certified Instructor in Adobe Illustrator and has a Diploma in Graphic Design from the Art Institute of Houston. Michael is the founder, designer, programmer, and writer of PointsandPaths.com, a website that grew from his passion for illustration software and all things vector.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
The course is designed for adult learners interested in building skills and portfolio for a design career. You can enroll at any time, with monthly class starts.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Basic drawing supplies including pencils and sketch paper.
- A digital camera for photographing drawing work.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CC (or Adobe Creative Cloud) (not included in enrollment).
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive twelve (12) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
You may be assigned with an instructor or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via email) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our instructors are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.