Graphic Design with Photoshop (Software Included)
This course will provide you with robust instructions on how to use Adobe Photoshop as a tool to create engaging and effective visuals. Using principles, theories, and time-tested practices of graphic design, you will discover strategies for producing images that convey desired messages, styles, and tones.
You will practice with real-world examples, challenges, and thought-provoking assignments and learn how to determine a client's needs, create work to meet those needs, and assemble your work in an online portfolio to enter the industry. The course's combination of creative, technical, and soft skills will offer you a well-rounded and challenging learning experience.
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Learn Master the fundamentals of graphic design concepts and terminology Adobe Photoshop
- Use any tool in the Photoshop workspace efficiently Demonstrate knowledge of basic design and typography principles
- Take a look at the history of Define common graphic design and advertising to understand how it affects design today terms
- Master how Use the design process to correctly package a project for printing and production work effectively with clients
- Develop a personal brand and incorporate social media
- Produce a portfolio using a variety of graphic design techniques
How you will benefit
- Create an extensive digital portfolio that can be used to show potential employers and clients
- Master the features of Photoshop suite needed to create results-driven professional work
- Prepare yourself for a career as a graphic designer, art director, video game designer, web developer, photo editor, and more
- Develop your own design style that will distinguish you from competitors
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 9 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 130 course hours
- Jumping into Photoshop
- Understanding Graphic Design Fundamentals
- Basic Photo Editing
- Selections, Painting, and Using Brushes
- Tourism Project
- Masking and Advanced Compositing
- Using Your Skills Professionally
- Building a Portfolio
- Final Exam
Laurie Ulrich has been writing about and teaching people to use Microsoft Office for more than 20 years—including personally training thousands of students, writing hundreds of training manuals, and authoring and co-authoring more than 30 books on subjects including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access. Her books include 2000-page epics that document every button, bell, and whistle, as well as friendlier introductory and troubleshooting books for new users. Her most recent publication on Microsoft Access is Access 2016 for Dummies. In addition to writing and teaching, Laurie runs her own firm, Limehat & Company, providing training, marketing, graphic design, and web development services to clients throughout the world, with a focus on helping growing companies and non-profit organizations build their brand through effective promotions, outreach, and education.
This program is designed to prepare you for a career in graphic design. Previous experience with Photoshop is not necessary. You will need an internet connection, be familiar with using the internet, have emailing capabilities, and be familiar navigating folders as well as naming and saving files to your computer.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac. A Chromebook is not compatible.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.14 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word or an equivalent word-processing program.
- Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud) (included in enrollment)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- The Elements of Graphic Design, by Alex W. White
- Exploring Typography
- Your enrollment in this course also includes a 12-month subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan. You will learn how to activate this subscription during the course.
Please Note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive nine (9) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact the student advising team to see what options you may have available to work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.
Like most things, practice makes perfect. You'll have the basic design skills and Photoshop abilities to take on most graphic design projects, but it's recommended that you do some pro-bono (no-charge, for needy organizations, family businesses, etc.) work before you put yourself out there as an experienced designer. Build your portfolio based on what you learn in this class and apply your experience to a few jobs before you making an official leap as a Professional Graphic Designer.
Yes, if you work hard and develop a good client list. It's important to seek clients out, provide all the services you can to these clients, and make good connections for word-of-mouth referrals. Also, stay involved with professional organizations, chambers of commerce, or local small business networking groups. Get your name out there, and use social media to promote your services.