Payroll Practice and Management with Microsoft Excel (Voucher Included)
Payroll professionals have to navigate financial laws and data to do their job efficiently. This online course covers all critical areas of payroll management and teaches you advanced practices for using Microsoft's Excel 2019 software. You will be prepared to take the Fundamental Payroll Certification exam and the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Expert certification exam for Microsoft Excel. Key topics include the major components of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, the Internal Revenue...
George Mason University
Details + Objectives
Course code: GES2087
What you will learn
- Identify various laws and regulations that affect employers in their payroll operations
- Identify the various deductions, both voluntary and involuntary, that are taken out of employees' gross pay
- Calculate gross and net pay
- Explain the use of the forms required to withhold, deposit, and report federal income taxes
- Recognize dates and regulations to ensure payroll compliance and reporting
- Understand the payroll process and supporting systems and administration
- Correctly apply payroll policies and procedures of a payroll department
- Journalize payroll transactions and post to appropriate general ledger accounts
- Be able to process payroll from start to finish (payroll project)
- To create, modify, and manage Excel workbooks
- To use formulas, functions and work with tables
- To convert, sort, filter, and manage lists
- To use conditional formatting and styles
- To create pivot tables and charts
- To import and export data
How you will benefit
- Be prepared to pass the FPC exam and become certified in the fundamentals of payroll
- Having a certification in payroll is a desirable attribute that many employers seek in payroll candidates
- With certification comes additional knowledge and skill that is not often taught in the workplace
- Be able to search and apply for payroll jobs, with the additional resume skills learned in the course
- Become a certified Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Expert in Excel
- Use these skills in most workplace situations
- Manipulate data faster by learning helpful formulas and tricks
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 12 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 170 course hours
- Microsoft Excel Certification Training
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel
- Creating a Microsoft Excel Workbook
- The Ribbon
- The Backstage View (The File Menu)
- Entering Data in Microsoft Excel Worksheets
- Formatting Microsoft Excel Worksheets
- Using Formulas in Microsoft Excel
- Working with Rows and Columns
- Editing Worksheets
- Finalizing Microsoft Excel Worksheets
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel Exam
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel
- Advanced Formulas
- Working with Lists
- Working with Illustrations
- Visualizing Your Data
- Working with Tables
- Advanced Formatting
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel Exam
- Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Using Pivot Tables
- Auditing Worksheets
- Data Tools
- Working with Others
- Recording and Using Macros
- Random Useful Items
- Advanced Microsoft Excel Exam
- Microsoft Excel Final Exam
- Payroll Practice and Management
- Introduction to Payroll
- Determining Worker Status
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Federal Employment Taxes
- Payroll Forms
- Fringe Benefits – Tax-Preferred and Other Related Health Benefits
- Fringe Benefits – Deferred Comp, Retirement Plans, and Stock Options
- Other Employee Benefits
- Calculating Gross Wages
- Calculating Gross Pay – Additional Topics
- Paycheck Calculation – Taxes
- Paycheck Calculation – Voluntary and Involuntary Deductions
- Gross to Net Paycheck Calculation
- Compliance – Laws and Reporting
- Global Payroll
- Payroll Process and Systems, and Audits
- Paying the Employee
- Payroll Administration and Management
- Basic Accounting
- Exploring Payroll Careers
- Exam Preparation
- Payroll Project
Instructors & Support
Tracy Berry has been a senior graphic designer/programmer, instructor, and consultant since 1993 and has developed hundreds of logos, marketing materials, websites, and multimedia solutions for customers worldwide. She was also involved in several large corporate software rollouts. She has helped many organizations optimize and streamline data solutions. She teaches both onsite and online courses and has her CTT (Certified Technical Trainer) certification. Tracy specializes in teaching graphics, desktop publishing, web design, and reporting/productivity applications.
Helene K. Liatsos
Helene K. Liatsos is a business advisor and QuickBooks Certified Advisor with more than 25 years of experience. She consults for a range of companies, from travel agencies to startups. Her company Home Office Management Experts was awarded the 2004 Home-Based Business of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration. Helene holds a Bachelor of Arts from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
Instructor Interaction: The instructor looks forward to interacting with learners in the online moderated discussion area to share their expertise and answer any questions you may have on the course content.
To enroll in this course, you should be proficient in keyboarding, have a basic understanding of a word-processing computer program, and be comfortable using a personal computer. You should also be familiar with operating Microsoft Office software and have a command of English grammar and punctuation. No payroll or office work experience is required.
- This course must be taken on a PC. Macs are not compatible.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.
- Microsoft Excel 2019 (not included in enrollment). While Microsoft Excel 2019 is ideal, you can download the desktop version of Excel that comes with Microsoft 365. Please note that there may be some differences between your version of Excel and what you see in the course.
- Microsoft Word or an equivalent word-processing program.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional material required for this program is included in enrollment. Digital access to the following book will be emailed to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment in the Payroll Practice and Management portion of the program:
- Payroll Accounting
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for Certification.
Yes, you will be prepared for the Microsoft Office Specialist MOS Excel Expert Certification exam. You will be prepared to pass the FPC exam and become certified in the fundamentals of payroll (the FPC Exam voucher is not included).
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course whenever you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
After you register, you will receive 12 months to complete the course. The time allotted for completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours.
If you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee will be charged. If you are funded through a third-party organization, approval may also be required.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successfully passing the final exam, you will be awarded a certificate of completion from the school or organization that you registered through.
ed2go courses will help you gain the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. However, you should always research the job market in your area before enrolling.
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA, and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards may provide funding to take our courses. Additionally, you may qualify for financial assistance if you meet certain requirements. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us."