Start improving your career opportunities by learning in-demand writing skills to create robust copy for business and marketing objectives that will differentiate you in today's competitive hiring landscape. Written Communication for Business Suite provides students with the in-demand writing expertise they need to achieve success through detailed, self-paced and instructor-led courses.
Effective Business Writing
Do you have a nagging suspicion that a small improvement in your writing skills might also improve your career prospects? Don't let small gaps in your business writing skills prevent you from reaching your full potential!
It doesn't matter whether you're a clerical worker, an engineer, or an executive. If you communicate with others in writing, you need this course to help you identify and eliminate problem areas. By the end of this course, you'll know the secret to developing powerful written documents that immediately draw readers in and keep them motivated to continue until your very last, well-chosen word.
Business and Marketing Writing
Are you a writer working in the business world? Or a marketing professional responsible for obtaining great marketing copy? Maybe you're just interested in a writing or marketing career. Whatever your background, this fun, introductory course will teach you to write or identify copy that achieves business and marketing goals. Improve your work, your knowledge, your company's image, and your chances of getting hired, promoted or applauded!
Using clear explanations, real-life examples, and an animated style, the course solidifies the relationship between business, marketing principles, and written communications. You will learn how business and marketing objectives affect writing choices. You'll get practical writing instruction in grammar, clarity, structure and more. You'll understand issues unique to this discipline, such as buzzwords, working with a team, and marketing ethics. This course will help you understand the power of writing - and use it to present a solid, cohesive message to your target audience.
Master the essentials of writing and become the stellar wordsmith you always wanted to be! In this course, you'll develop the skills you need to excel at business communications, express yourself clearly online, and take your creative literary talents to a new level.
Whether you're hoping to get a better job, write for a blog, or publish your short story, this course will give you the writing tools you need for success. It's also a perfect choice if you speak English as a second language. With the knowledge and hands-on practice, you gain from this course, you'll be able to express yourself clearly and persuasively in writing—both in your personal life and in the business world.
Suite bundles are not eligible for partial drops or refunds. Transfers to other open sessions of the same course are available. Please refer to your school for additional details regarding drops, transfers, and refunds on Suite bundles.
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led online course
- 72 course hours
- Effective Business Writing
- Writing as Problem Solving
- Why Write and Who Is Your Reader?
- Benefits You Can Offer Your Reader
- Sequencing Your Ideas and How to Write Your Ending
- Revising, Formatting, Editing, and Proofreading
- What Words to Take Out
- What Words to Put In
- Strategies for Good Spelling and Punctuation
- One Easy Grammar Lesson
- Getting the Tone Right
- When You Have to Say No
- Email Etiquette
- Business and Marketing Writing
- The Role of Business and Marketing Writing
- The Ins and Outs of Image
- Writing Approaches and Strategies
- Putting It All Together: Writing Project
- Complete and Incomplete Sentences
- Word Choices
- Internal Communication
- Banishing the Bureaucracy
- Editing, Proofreading and Evaluating
- Putting It All Together: Editing Project
- Marketing Ethics
- Writing Essentials
- Writing: Your Dynamic New Tool
- Words: Picking the Right One
- Spelling: Tips and Practice
- Usage: Which Word Goes Where
- Sentences: Writing Them Effectively
- Ending Punctuation: When, Where, and Why
- Commas: Mastery at Last!
- Semicolons, Colons, and All the Rest: A Quick Review
- Paragraphs: How They Help You Communicate
- Formatting: Tools and Tips to Help Your Content Shine
- Writing for Electronic Media: Quirks and Characteristics
- Putting It All Together: Writing Well!
Ann Linquist is a continuing education instructor on college campuses, at corporations, and with non-profit organizations. She has helped thousands of adults learn to tackle their writing tasks with enthusiasm. Having written everything from novels to newsletters, articles to ad copy, Linquist is able to address the writing needs of each individual. The breadth of her background ensures a powerful, involving learning experience that builds on the strengths of each participant.
Lisa Adams is a web development expert specializing in marketing, user experience, and e-commerce. In addition to building and maintaining hundreds of websites, Lisa has helped a wide variety of clients and students to create their own sites and modify existing ones to make them more attractive and user-friendly.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.