Certified Credit Counselor and Certified Financial Health Counselor (Exam Included)
Becoming a certified credit counselor with a specialty in financial health indicates that you have achieved a standard of excellence in training for the credit counseling industry.
This course bundle provides a foundation to work in various counseling disciplines such as housing counselor or student loan counselor. You will learn how to coach your clients in building strong credit, spending analysis, improving money management behaviors, and more. Demonstrating your knowledge of core financial...
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Effective counseling techniques to help clients establish and reach financial goals
- Banking and credit fundamentals needed to educate clients on debt elimination
- Credit industry knowledge
- Credit scoring knowledge
- Credit/financial counselor ethics
- Counseling, motivation, and communication techniques
- Consumer protection laws
- Banking and Finance essentials
- Credit industry knowledge
- Credit scoring knowledge
- Housing, retirement, and student loan information
How you will benefit
- You will receive the Certified Credit Counselor designation after passing the final exam
- You will receive the Certified Financial Health Counselor designation after passing the final exam
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 105 course hours
- The Defining Role of the Financial Counselor
- The Components of Financial Well-Being
- Establishing the Client/Counselor Relationship
- Rapport Building
- Poverty, Culture and Socioeconomic Variables
- Active Listening
- Asking the Right Questions
- Taking Control of Finances
- The Problem-Solving Process
- Where the Client is Now
- Where the Client Wants to Go
- How the Client will Get There
- Demystifying Consumer Credit
- Banking Basics
- Credit Basics
- Choosing Credit Wisely
- Using Credit Wisely
- Understanding Credit Reports
- Credit Scoring
- Understanding and Dealing with Debt
- Getting Into Debt
- Debt Collection
- The Consequences of Unpaid Debt
- Getting Out of Debt
- Credit Counseling Today
- From Credit Cards to Credit Counseling
- Not Legal Advice or Therapy
- The Debt Management Plan
- Financial Counselor Today
- Housing I
- Housing Part II
- Housing Part III
- Student Financial Aid
- Retirement Planning
- Consumer Resources
- Consumer Protection Legislation
Bonnie Canty is an attorney licensed in five states: Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, and New York. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from Hofstra School of Law and practices general law through her firm ABC Law, PLLC. She has been hired by several businesses and organizations to train, coach, and consult. Canty currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Society of Financial and Career Counseling Professionals and has been a Certified Financial Counselor for almost two decades.
Instructor Interaction: The instructor looks forward to interacting with learners in the online moderated discussion area to share their expertise and answer any questions you may have on the course content.
There are no prerequisites required.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- A stable Internet connection.
- A webcam.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
- All materials for this course are online.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes, by passing the final exams of the course you earn the designations of Credit Counselor and Certified Financial Health Counselor from the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course whenever you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
After you register, you will receive (6) months to complete the course. The time allotted for completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours.
If you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee will be charged. If you are funded through a third-party organization, approval may also be required.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successfully passing the final exam, you will be awarded a certificate of completion from the school or organization that you registered through.
ed2go courses will help you gain the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. However, you should always research the job market in your area before enrolling.
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA, and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards may provide funding to take our courses. Additionally, you may qualify for financial assistance if you meet certain requirements. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us."