Student Loan Counselor (Exam Included)
About 43 million Americans owe $1.5 trillion in federal student loan debt. This number is staggering, and many debtors seek out financial counselors to help them navigate their repayment options. To work in this area of counseling, becoming a certified student loan counselor proves that you can accurately assist clients. This course will prepare you for the Certified Student Loan Counselor exam, offered by the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors (NACCC).
George Mason University
What you will learn
- How the federal and private student loan systems work
- Latest in trends and legislation that governs student loans
- Strategies for borrowing, managing, and repaying student loans
- Methods for counseling and educating those struggling with student debt
How you will benefit
- A certified student loan counselor can enter the job market with a certification recognized by several industries including regional workforce development boards, Department of Veterans Affairs, National Disability Institute, and the United Way
- Provides credibility and demonstrates your ability to help clients
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 60 course hours
- The Origin and Initial Funding of Higher Education
- Assisting the Student/Borrower Assess, Evaluate and Obtain Funding
- Counseling the Student Borrower
- Assisting the Student Borrower with the Repayment Process
- Student Loan Discharge, Cancellation and Forgiveness Basics
- Default Consequences and Solutions, Ethical Considerations
Bonnie Canty is an attorney licensed in five states: Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, and New York. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from Hofstra School of Law and practices general law through her firm ABC Law, PLLC. She has been hired by several businesses and organizations to train, coach, and consult. Canty currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Society of Financial and Career Counseling Professionals and has been a Certified Financial Counselor for almost two decades.
To enroll in this Student Loan Counseling course, you must be an active member of NACCC. To become a member of NACCC, you must hold either the Certified Credit Counselor or Financial Health Counselor designation.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Computer must have stable Internet access.
- Speakers and video capabilities are required for viewing lecture videos.
- Access to webcam for final exam proctoring.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes, when you successfully pass the final exam of the course you will be a certified Student Loan Counselor.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact the student advising team to see what options you may have available to work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.