Career Counselor and Life Coach
This online suite of courses teaches all the aspects of career counseling and life coaching, from working with clients to establishing a business.
In the Career Counselor course, you will learn career development stages, planning fundamentals, and how to work with diverse audiences. In the Certified Life Coach course, you will learn the Core Competencies of the International Coach Federation (ICF) and ICF-recognized protocols to build a distinctive coaching style. This course also incorporates...
George Mason University
What you will learn
- How to guide people through a dynamic coaching process from start to finish.
- How to set the foundation for coaching relationships using a formal coaching agreement.
- How to apply ethical practices and standards to your business.
- How to help your clients clarify their purpose, goals, plans, and actions
- How to launch your coaching practice using strategies that best fit your style
- How to develop a comprehensive business plan
- Understand fundamental goals and identify key stages of career development
- Identify common career challenges and learn to conduct career counseling interviews
- Understand your clients and determine their career goals
- Create and deliver comprehensive career development plans
- Add value to your counseling services by providing quality career development
How you will benefit
- Develop your coaching presence, style, and communication system
- Master self-awareness and self-discovery exercises are foundational to your life coaching career
- Earn a life coach certificate from a reputable institution to build credibility
- Learn business strategies from successful life coaches to develop your client base.
- Advance your career by helping others in their career
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 12 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 140 course hours
- Introduction to Career Planning for Clients
- Understanding the Stages of Career Development
- Identifying Client's Career Goals and Challenges
- Employability and Career Planning
- Working with Diverse Audiences
- Addressing Challenges that Client's Face
- Career Counseling Interviews
- Creating Career Development Plans
- Traps to Avoid in Career Counseling
- Maintaining Quality in Career Coaching Services
Certified Professional Life Coach
- Awareness and Mindful Intention
- Introduction to LCE
- Setting Your Intention
- How to Earn your CPC Credential
- History of Modern Coaching
- Power of a Professional Code of Ethics
- Coaching Roles and Personal Qualities
- Personal Qualities of Outstanding Coaches
- Reasons to Hire a Coach
- Awareness and Mindful Intention, Pt. 2
- Focus on You
- Life Metaphors
- Your Life's Purpose
- My Life Circle
- Listening and Building Rapport
- Standards of Practice and Rules of Engagement
- Coaching YOUR Practice Client
- Action Tools and Skills
- Tools and Assessments
- Positive Psychology
- Personality Profiles
- More Assessments for Coaching
- Coaching Conversation Dynamics, Pt. 1
- Coaching Conversation Dynamics, Pt. 2
- Our Stories
- The Three Potentials
- The Coaching Cycle
- Coaching Sessions
- ICF Core Competencies
- Action Tools and Skills, Pt. 2
- Ethical Guidelines and Professional Standards
- Establishing the Coaching Agreement
- Trust and Intimacy
- Coaching Presence
- Active Listening
- Powerful Questioning
- Direct Communication
- Creating Awareness
- Designing Actions
- Planning and Goal Setting
- Managing Progress and Accountability
- Assumptions and Deeper Insight
- Wellbeing: Positive Psychology Evolves
- The Johari Window and Self Discovery
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0
- The Value of Values
- My Ideal Life
- Shifting Perspective
- The "A" Word
- The Heart of the Matter
- Freeze it! The Antidote to Anxiety
- Freeze Frame Exercise
- Sharing My Success
- The Bedrock of Success: E+R=O
- Self-Responsibility and Self-Esteem
- The Last Resort in Self-Responsibility
- Imagination: The Power to Shift
- How I Scare Myself
- Clean Up Your Messes
- 20 Things I Love to Do
- Uncommon Appreciation
- Accelerate Your Business Launch
- Establish Your Business on Purpose
- Envision Your Ideal Business
- Make a Statement: Clarify Your Mission
- Plan for Success: Begin with the End in Mind
- Counting the Cost Quick Start
- New Beginnings: Starting Small
- Setting Your Coaching Fees
- Four Strategies for Going the Distance
- Finding Your Niche
- Your Ideal Client is Waiting
- My Ideal Client's Name is …
- Accelerate Your Business Launch, Pt. 2
- Six Strengths to Leverage Your Credibility
- Start with Low Hanging Fruit
- Use Your Voice to Define Your Expertise
- Strategic Networking
- Position Your Expertise
- Marketing and Promotion
- Referrals: The Road to Riches
- Creating Your Marketing Plan
Jean LaCour, Ph.D., is a Certified Prevention Professional, author, and trainer with extensive experience in the addiction recovery field. She is the co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit corporation offering online training in addiction counseling, peer specialist support, and recovery support services.
Thea Roberts is an instructor with a background in business administration. Previously, she was a finance officer and employment advisor. She also held a position in the Washington State Ombudsman Program. Roberts holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Master of Arts.
There are no prerequisites prior to enrolling in this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Speakers or headphones
- PC: Windows 7 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes. Upon successful completion of the final exam within the course, you will receive the Certified Professional Coach (CPC) certification. This credential is issued through the International Association of Professional Recovery Coaches (IAPRC).
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (12) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact the student advising team to see what options you may have available to work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.