University of the District of Columbia
With more than one billion people using the Microsoft Office suite worldwide, Microsoft Word is the most popular word processing software. This course bundle will introduce Microsoft Word 2019 and teach you how to use its advanced features.
Introduction to Microsoft Word 2019
The Introduction to Microsoft Word 2019 course consists of hands-on exercises, videos, and step-by-step instructions that teach the fundamentals of word processing. You will learn dozens of ways to quickly and easily create, modify, and organize your documents. By the end of the course, you will feel comfortable and confident using Word 2019 for personal use or for in professional settings.
Intermediate Microsoft Word 2019
The intermediate course will teach you how to use the software's advanced word processing functions. You will learn a number of shortcuts and time-saving techniques to create complex, professional-quality documents. By the end of the course, you will know how to develop and organize tables, manipulate graphics, and merge spreadsheets, amongst other functions, to turn Word into a simple desktop publishing tool.
Series bundles are not eligible for partial drops or refunds. Transfers to other open sessions of the same course are available. Please refer to your school for additional details regarding drops, transfers, and refunds on Series bundles.
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led online course
- 48 course hours
- Introduction to Microsoft Word 2019
- Getting Started
- Typing and Navigation
- File Management
- Editing Text
- Working With Multiple Documents
- Text Formatting and Alignment
- Margins, Tabs, and Page Numbering
- Paragraph Formatting
- Language Tools
- Customizing Word
- Making a Word Document Pretty and Organized
- Intermediate Microsoft Word 2019
- Timesavers in Word 2019
- Methods to Streamline Text Formatting
- Working with Templates
- Adding Graphics to Your Word Documents
- Creating Text-Based Graphics in Word
- Organizing Your Text with Columns and Sections
- Creating Tables in Word
- Creating Stationary in Word
- Creating Business Stationary in Word
- Desktop Publishing
- Merging Data with Documents
- Creating Summative Lists of What's in Your Document
Wallace Wang is the author of over 40 computer books including "Microsoft Office 2019 For Dummies." In addition to writing computer books, he has also co-authored "Breaking Into Acting for Dummies" and ghostwritten several books about investing in real estate, day trading stocks, and becoming an entrepreneur. Some of his past jobs have included teaching computer science courses at the University of Zimbabwe, performing stand-up comedy, and appearing on a weekly radio show.
Instructor Interaction: The instructor looks forward to interacting with learners in the online moderated discussion area to share their expertise and answer any questions you may have on the course content.
There are no prerequisites to take the introductory course. Completion of "Introduction to Microsoft Word 2019" is required to take the Intermediate course.
- This course must be taken on a PC. Macs are not compatible.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Microsoft Word 2019 (desktop version) Available to download with a subscription to Microsoft 365, or with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019. (not included in enrollment)
- *Note: The "Starter Version" and "Web App" versions of Microsoft Word will not work with the full version of Word taught in this course.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
A new session of each course opens every month, allowing you to enroll whenever your busy schedule permits!
Once a course session starts, two lessons will be released each week for the six-week duration of your course. You will have access to all previously released lessons until the course ends.
The interactive discussion area for each lesson automatically closes two weeks after each lesson is released, so you're encouraged to complete each lesson within two weeks of its release.
The final exam will be released on the same day as the last lesson. Once the final exam has been released, you will have two weeks plus 10 days (24 days total) to complete the final and finish any remaining lessons in your course. No further extensions can be provided beyond these 10 days.