AFAA Group Fitness Instructor (Voucher Included)
From gyms to fitness studios, more people are taking group fitness classes. There's a good reason for that; group fitness offers expert instruction in a positive environment. This online course will prepare you to become a certified group fitness instructor. Earning this credential from the Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) verifies that you can safely and effectively teach group fitness classes.
This course includes a voucher with enrollment. The voucher is prepaid access to sit for the certifying AFAA GFI Exam upon completion of the course and eligibility.
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Demonstrate comprehension of fundamental scientific concepts related to exercise science
- Design a well-structured and balanced fitness class or workout for a diverse group of participants that is both safe and effective
- Demonstrate comprehension of key instruction and presentation skills necessary for effective group instruction
- Demonstrate key traits of professionalism as a group fitness instructor
- Demonstrate the key skills and knowledge required to be a competent group fitness instructor
How you will benefit
- Pass AFAA Group Fitness Instructor certification test and earn a nationally accredited certificate
- Certification exam cost is included with course enrollment
- Walk into any gym in the nation and be employable as a group fitness instructor
- Allow them to run private group fitness classes
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 60 course hours
- The Group Fitness Industry
- Foundations of Exercise Science
- The Human Movement System
- Integrated Fitness
- Teaching Basics
- Teaching: Multi-training and Exercise Technique
- Class Planning and Preparation
- Adapting to Class Dynamics
- Communication and Learning
- Inclusive Instruction for Special Populations
- Class Engagement and Motivation
- Professional and Legal Responsibilities
This is not an instructor facilitated course; however, support will be provided through email, online forms, and phone.
The AFAA-GFI course itself is available to all candidates interested in furthering their education in the field of group fitness. In order to take the AFAA-GFI credentialing exam, candidates must be 18 years or older and meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification prior to sitting for the exam. (All CPR/AED courses must have a hands-on training component. AFAA will not accept a CPR/AED certification card from an online provider.)
- This course must be taken on a PC. Macs are not compatible.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- AFAA Principles of Group Fitness Instruction, Jones & Bartlett Learning
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes. This course prepares students for the AFAA Group Fitness Instructor Certification (GFI). This course includes a voucher with enrollment to sit for the certifying AFAA-GFI Exam upon completion of the course and eligibility.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
You may be assigned with an instructor or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via email) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our instructors are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.