NASM Certified Personal Trainer + AFAA Group Fitness Instructor (Vouchers Included)
Becoming a certified fitness professional proves that you have the knowledge and expertise to lead fitness instruction safely. This online course will prepare you for two of the most in-demand certifications in the fitness industry: NASM Certified Personal Trainer and AFAA Group Fitness Instructor. You will gain key skills from videos, presentations, and other hands-on learning activities to master health and fitness topics, including nutrition, human movement science, and fitness assessments.
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Fundamental scientific concepts related to exercise science
- Design a well-structured, effective, and balanced fitness class or workout for a diverse group of participants
- Essential instruction and presentation skills necessary for effective group instruction
- Key traits of professionalism as a group fitness instructor
- Skills and knowledge required to be a competent group fitness instructor
- Mastery of health and fitness topics, including nutrition, program design, human movement science, and fitness assessments, among others
How you will benefit
- Pass two exams and earn nationally accredited certifications
- You can walk into any gym in the nation and be employable as a group fitness instructor
- You will have the skills needed to run private group fitness classes
- Prepares you for a career as a fitness/wellness manager
- Prepares you for a career as a certified personal trainer
- Prepares you for a career as an exercise physiologist/specialist
- Prepares you for a career as an athletic trainer
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 12 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 140 course hours
- NASM Certified Personal Trainer
- Professional Development and Responsibility
- Client Relations and Behavioral Coaching
- Basic and Applied Sciences and Nutritional Concepts
- Exercise Technique and Training Instruction
- Program Design
- AFAA Group Fitness Instructor
- The Group Fitness Industry
- Foundations of Exercise Science
- The Human Movement System
- Integrated Fitness
- Teaching Basics
- Teaching: Multi-training and Exercise Technique
- Class Planning and Preparation
- Adapting to Class Dynamics
- Communication and Learning
- Inclusive Instruction for Special Populations
- Class Engagement and Motivation
- Professional and Legal Responsibilities
This is not an instructor facilitated course; however, support will be provided through email, online forms, and phone.
The course itself is available to all candidates interested in furthering their education in the field of personal training and group fitness. In order to take the NASM-CPT and AFAA-GFI credentialing exam, candidates must be 18 years or older and meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification before sitting for the exam. All CPR/AED courses must have a hands-on training component. AFAA will not accept a CPR/AED certification card from an online provider.
- This course must be taken on a PC. Macs are not compatible.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- AFAA Principles of Group Fitness Instruction, Jones & Bartlett Learning
Please Note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes, this course prepares students for two certification exams: AFAA Group Fitness Instructor Certification and NASM Certified Personal Trainer. Exam fees are included in the course cost.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course whenever you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
After you register, you will receive 12 months to complete the course. The time allotted for completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours.
If you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee will be charged. If you are funded through a third-party organization, approval may also be required.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successfully passing the final exam, you will be awarded a certificate of completion from the school or organization that you registered through.
ed2go courses will help you gain the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. However, you should always research the job market in your area before enrolling.
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA, and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards may provide funding to take our courses. Additionally, you may qualify for financial assistance if you meet certain requirements. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us."