Aging and Health Bundle
As the population in the United States ages, there are many opportunities to learn how to work with seniors to support quality of life. Learn about various aspects that affect the way we age, including nutrition and physical activity, happiness and its effects on brain health, and the role of intimacy and sexuality. This series is designed for healthcare workers who are responsible for the care of older adults. You will complete three certificates, including the: Certificate in Healthy Aging, Certificate in Gerontology, and Certificate in Brain Health, to earn CE contact hours.
Certificate in Healthy Aging
(10 contact hours) As the population in the United States ages, there are many opportunities to learn how to work with seniors to support quality of life. In the Certificate in Healthy Aging certificate, you'll gain an overview of specific aspects of aging, including the impact of nutrition and physical activity on the aging process, physiologic changes in the healthy aging brain, and the role of intimacy and sexuality in healthy aging. This program is designed for individuals who are working in the health care field, those who are interested in the topic, those who are working with the aging population, or anyone who wishes to prepare for a career in aging services or gerontology.
Certificate in Gerontology
(25 contact hours) With the population aging at a rapid rate, the number of individuals over 65 will more than double by the year 2020. The demand for knowledgeable providers to meet the needs of this population is dramatically increasing. The Certificate in Gerontology represents a specialization in the field of gerontology. It is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of health care professionals who work with the older adults.
Certificate in Brain Health
(10 contact hours) Can we program our brains for happiness? How do sleep quality and stress affect our mental and physical health? Can activities such as exercise, play, and even listening to music boost brain health? In this innovative certificate program, you'll gain insights into the amazing brain and explore how to support health and happiness through lifestyle choices that impact this remarkable organ. Based on recent scientific studies, this program is perfect for healthcare professionals or anyone who wants to better understand how supporting brain health can foster health, happiness, and wellbeing.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC was awarded Accreditation with Distinction, the highest recognition awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Accreditation Program.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions courses are acceptable for CE contact hours in all states.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 14693, for the stated number of contact hours.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions courses are approved for continuing education credit for diabetes educators. All ANCC accredited courses are accepted for continuing education credit by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE).
No individual in a position to control content for this activity has any conflicts of interest or relevant financial relationships to declare.
There is no commercial support being received for this activity.
Suite bundles are not eligible for partial drops or refunds. Transfers to other open sessions of the same course are available. Please refer to your school for additional details regarding drops, transfers, and refunds on Suite bundles.
- Gain an overview of specific aspects of aging to provide a long-term foundation for treatment of the senior community and overall health during the later years of life.
- Learn how increasing scientific, clinical, and social interest helps understand the relationship between nutrition and aging.
- Explore the characteristics of the healthy aging brain, examine how cognitive function as well as physical activity can enhance well-being for seniors, and uncover the keys to longevity that allow some people to live to 100 years old and beyond.
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led online course
- 45 course hours
- Certificate in Healthy Aging
- Nutrition and Healthy Aging
- The Healthy Aging Brain
- Physical Activity and Healthy Aging
- Centenarians: Keys to Longevity
- Intimacy, Sexuality, and Healthy Aging
- Behavioral and Mental Health in Aging
- Certificate in Gerontology
- Introduction to Gerontology
- Physiology of Aging
- Mental Health and Aging
- Healthy Aging
- Pain Assessment and Management in the Older Adult
- Death and Dying
- Sleep and Aging
- The Older Woman
- Elder Abuse
- Aging and Disorders of Communication
- Alzheimer's Disease: Mysteries and Possibilities
- Certificate in Brain Health
- The Amazing Brain: Understanding The Basics
- Wire Your Brain for Happiness
- Music, Sound, and the Healthy Brain
- Meditation and Brain Health
- Sleep And The Brain: What's The Connection
- Play And The Brain: Why Play Matters To Your Gray Matter
- Healthy Lifestyles: How Stress, Nutrition, Physical Activity, Substance Abuse, And Nature Affect Brain Health
Cyndie Koopsen, RN, BSN, MBA, HNB-BC, RN-BC, HWNC-BC is a nurse who has cared for patients in acute care settings, community clinics, and the home. Her professional nursing career has involved nursing executive leadership and administration, accreditation consultation, staff development and education, community education and wellness, and holistic care. She has designed, developed, and presented numerous educational programs for audiences covering integrative health, promotion and wellness, and chronic disease management and prevention. She is the co-author (with Caroline Young) of two health care textbooks. She is the co-CEO and co-founder of ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC and has designed and developed over 300 online professional continuing education courses.
Caroline Young, M.P.H., has an extensive public health background that includes experience in research, workshop presentations in various areas of health care, and online and onsite teaching. She has expertise in holistic community health and wellness program design, development, marketing, implementation, and evaluation. She has also designed, developed, and presented integrative health programs for culturally diverse populations, senior populations, and faith communities. She is the co-author (with Cyndie Koopsen) of two health care textbooks. She is the co-CEO and co-founder of ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC and has designed and developed over 300 online professional continuing education courses.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
- You must pass the final exam in all lessons with a score of 80% or higher AND complete the Evaluation Form in order to receive your Certificate of Completion. Finals are graded as Pass or No Pass. Receipt of your certificate indicates successful completion of the course and that you have passed all final exams with a score of 80% or greater. You may retake final exams as many times as necessary within the six week duration of the program at no additional charge.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.