Nutrition and Health Bundle
Nutrition has a profound impact not only on our health but also on our overall well-being. However, most people do not understand what foods they should eat, which diets are healthy for them, and where food comes from. This series is designed for healthcare workers, personal trainers, and individuals interested in a deep dive into the impacts of nutrition on our bodies. You will gain insight into how food interacts with our bodies on multiple levels—physical, mental-emotional, and spiritual—as...
Certificate in Food, Nutrition, and Health
(16 contact hours) Food and nutrition have a profound impact on our health and well-being, yet many of us are not aware of what foods to eat, which diets are healthy, and where our food originates. We eat toxic, irradiated, or genetically altered foods and we eat more than we need. How can we change our eating habits and become more conscious of what we eat, why we eat it, how it is prepared, and what consequences our food choices have on our health as well as the health of our planet? This certificate provides an overview of the role of food and nutrition choices on our bodies, our immune systems, our overall well-being, and the health of all sentient beings on an increasingly populated planet.
The outcome of this certificate is for the learner to describe a holistic overview of current food and nutrition issues and their impact on physical, social, emotional, spiritual, and planetary health.
Certificate in Nutrition, Chronic Disease, and Health Promotion
(12 contact hours) Nutrition is a major determinant of health as well as a factor in many common chronic diseases. In this certificate program, you'll gain an understanding of the role food and water play in health, and see how making appropriate changes in one's diet can have powerful effects on health throughout life.
You'll examine how the burden of chronic diseases is rapidly increasing worldwide as traditional, largely plant-based diets are being replaced by high-fat, energy-dense diets with a substantial content of animal-based foods. This certificate addresses these issues and more and provides a solid foundation of for both health care professionals and those wishing to enter the fields of nutrition, health promotion, and lifestyle and wellness coaching.
Note: All healthcare providers are responsible for checking the "Accreditation" list to determine if this course awards contact hours for their profession.
Conflicts of Interest and Relevant Financial Relationships: The authors/planning committee members have no conflicts of interest or relevant financial relationships to declare relevant to this activity.
Non-endorsement of Products: Accreditation refers to recognition of continuing nursing education only and does not imply ALLEGRA approval or endorsement of any commercial product.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions courses are acceptable for continuing education in all states.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 14693, for the stated number of contact hours.
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANTS (CNAs) & CERTIFIED HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIANS (CHTs)
The California Department of Health, Aid, and Technician Certification Section accepts continuing education offered by CA-BRN approved providers.
CERTIFIED MANAGED CARE NURSE (CMCN)
The American Board of Managed Care Nursing recognizes all of ALLEGRA Learning Solutions' ANCC accredited courses for continuing education credit for Certified Managed Care Nurses (CMCNs).
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. To satisfy the requirement for renewal of certification by continuing education for the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE), continuing education activities must be applicable to diabetes and approved by a provider on the NCBDE List of Recognized Providers (www.ncbde.org). NCBDE does not approve continuing education.
NAADAC (National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors)
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions is an approved provider with the National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) (Provider #107194).
What you will learn
- Describe the connection between nutrition and health
- Explain the relationship between nutrition, stress, and immune function
- Discuss current issues in nutrition
- Explain the impact of obesity on public health in the United States
- Describe how to accurately read food labels
- Compare and contrast the health benefits and risks of various natural sweeteners
- Explain the health considerations of botanicals, herbs, and herbalism
- Describe the role of probiotics in health
- Explain the local and global consequences of food choices
- Discuss the political aspects of food and food production in the United States
- Describe the potential impact of genetically modified foods on public health
- Describe the connection between moods and food choices
- Explain the causes and treatments for common foodborne illnesses
- Explain common and emerging issues in national and global water safety
- Describe the connection between nutrition, toxins, and chronic diseases
How you will benefit
- Gain a greater awareness of what we eat, why we eat it, how it is prepared, and the physical, social, and environmental consequences of food choices on health, communities, and the planet
- Examine the relationship between stress, obesity, the immune system, and nutrition
- Explore how botanicals, herbs, herbalism, and probiotics can influence health and well-being
- Discover how to properly read a food label and choose healthier sweeteners
- Examine the current issues in nutrition, including toxins in the food chain, plastics and food, choosing appropriate supplements, food allergies, genetically modified organisms, and more
- Examine the rising trend of chronic diseases and learn how nutrition and diet impact health
- Learn to choose quality foods that support optimal health
- Enhance your confidence in your ability to support patients with chronic diseases
- Discover ways to improve your total health and well-being and positively impact your life and the life of your family
- Learn new information that can help you prepare for a career in many areas of health (including health education, public health, nursing, medicine, social work, environmental health, or health coaching) as well as other fields (such as law, political science, advocacy, etc.)
- Build knowledge and competencies needed to advance your career and/or improve your personal health and well-being
- Fulfill continuing education and/or national certification requirements
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led online course
- 28 course hours
- Certificate in Food, Nutrition, and Health
- Nutrition and Health—What's the Connection?
- Nutrition, Stress, and Immune Function
- Obesity in America—A Public Health Epidemic
- Current Issues in Nutrition
- Spiritual Nutrition—The Global Consequences of Food Choices
- Food Labels—Deciphering the Mysteries
- Botanicals, Herbs, and Herbalism
- Natural Sweeteners—Healthy Options for Your Sweet Tooth
- Probiotics—Silent Partners in Health
- Certificate in Nutrition, Chronic Disease, and Health Promotion
- The Politics of Food
- Hunger and Malnutrition
- Genetically Engineered (Modified) Foods—Safe or Sinister?
- Food and Mood: What's the Connection?
- Foodborne Diseases
- How Safe Is Your Water?
- Nutrition, Toxins, and Chronic Disease
Cyndie Koopsen, RN, BSN, MBA, HNB-BC, RN-BC, HWNC-BC is a nurse who has cared for patients in acute care settings, community clinics, and the home. Her professional nursing career has involved nursing executive leadership and administration, accreditation consultation, staff development and education, community education and wellness, and holistic care. She has designed, developed, and presented numerous educational programs for audiences covering integrative health, promotion and wellness, and chronic disease management and prevention. She is the co-author (with Caroline Young) of two health care textbooks. She is the co-CEO and co-founder of ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC and has designed and developed over 300 online professional continuing education courses.
Caroline Young, M.P.H., has an extensive public health background that includes experience in research, workshop presentations in various areas of health care, and online and onsite teaching. She has expertise in holistic community health and wellness program design, development, marketing, implementation, and evaluation. She has also designed, developed, and presented integrative health programs for culturally diverse populations, senior populations, and faith communities. She is the co-author (with Cyndie Koopsen) of two health care textbooks. She is the co-CEO and co-founder of ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC and has designed and developed over 300 online professional continuing education courses.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
To complete each lesson, click on the lesson title that you would like to complete. When you are ready to take the final for each lesson, proceed to the Finals section and select the final you wish to take.
You must pass the final exam in all lessons with a score of 80% or higher AND complete the Evaluation Form in order to receive your Certificate of Completion. Finals are graded as Pass or No Pass. Receipt of your certificate indicates successful completion of the course and that you have passed all final exams with a score of 80% or greater. You may retake final exams as many times as necessary within the six week duration of the program at no additional charge.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.