Teacher's Aide with RBT (Voucher Included)
Get the skills needed for career success in this comprehensive course bundle, designed for those who are looking to become teacher's aides with the knowledge to address mental health concerns in the classroom! This paraprofessional certification prep course will prepare you for the ETS ParaPro Assessment exam so that you can work as a teacher's aide. You will learn how paraprofessional educators assist with classroom instruction and build a foundation in educational principles like classroom...
University of the District of Columbia
What you will learn
- What paraprofessional educators do and how they work in the education system
- Roles and responsibilities of a teacher's aide in various settings
- Benchmarks of development for children and adolescents
- Classroom management strategies, instructional control, and positive behavior supports
- Characteristics and intervention strategies for students with various disabilities
- ParaPro Assessment exam preparation strategies
- Summarizing the role and the responsibilities of a Registered Behavior Technician (RBT)
- Measuring operationally defined behaviors through data collection and graphical representation
- Discover a learner's current motivations and reinforcers
- Determining appropriate behavior analytic interventions based on observations and documentation
- Choosing ethical behavior that upholds the rights and dignity of learners
How you will benefit
- Pass the Para Pro Praxis assessment and enhance your professional profile
- Develop a career roadmap for becoming a teacher's aide
- Train under an experienced mentor educator
- Certificate of Completion for 40-hour training, required for certification and initial competency assessment
- Completed Initial Competency Assessment from a qualified Assessor
- Access to a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) with Initial Competency Assessment Training
- Real-time feedback and remediation on competency checks within the course
- Background check signoff, part of the eligibility requirements
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 12 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 180 course hours
- Teacher's Aide with ParaPro Prep
- Teacher's Aide Foundations
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Communication and Classroom Management
- Supporting Students in the General Education Setting
- Students with Exceptionalities
- Midterm Exam
- Supporting the Reading Process
- Supporting the Writing Process
- Supporting Mathematics
- Preparing for the ETS ParaPro Assessment
- Career Roadmap: The Job Search and Future Opportunities (Optional Lesson)
- Portfolio Final Project: Instructions and Submission
- Final Exam
- Registered Behavior Technician Training
- Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis
- Measurement in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Assessment in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Skill Acquisition: Principles of Learning
- Skill Acquisition: Instructional Methods
- Behavior Reduction: Proactive Procedures
- Behavior Reduction: Reactive Procedures
- Crisis Prevention and Management
- Documenting and Reporting
- Professional and Ethical Conduct
- Ethics in ABA
- Final Exam
- Registered Behavior Technician Competency Assessment
- Getting Started
- Proof of 40-hour Training
- Initiate Background Check
- Initial Competency Assessment
- Schedule Your Initial Competency Assessment
- Submit Predetermined Video Tasks
- Conduct Competency Assessment via Role Playing and Interviewing with an Assessor
- Complete All Tasks and Objectives
- Complete BACB Application
- Next Steps
Kt (Katie) Paxton is a certified teacher with a master's degree in Education focusing on Learning and Technology. She has more than 20 years of classroom experience and has been an online instructor since 2003. She also owned and managed a home daycare for five years and is the author of More Adventures with Kids in San Diego. Furthermore, Kt has trained and placed tutors with at-risk students in over 100 schools in addition to working with the students herself.
Hannah Kruman has worked as a Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) for several years within clinical settings, schools, and homes, before becoming a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA). In her career, she has trained and supervised many behavioral technicians on various caseloads and assignments.
After transitioning to the Birth-to-Three/Early Intervention course, she became a service coordinator on top of her responsibilities as a behavior analyst, including completing intake assessments to determine eligibility for birth-to-three services.
Recently, Hannah established Horizon Behavioral Therapy and Education, LLC, where she provides behavior analytic services, parent training, and consultation. In addition to her BCBA, she is a Licensed Behavior Analyst (LBA), has completed her Initial Competency Assessment training, and holds a Master of Education (M.Ed.).
Rachel L White
Rachel L White, Ph.D., BCBA-D, has participated in federally funded grants implementing School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (SWPBIS) in public schools and training parents of children with autism using online and video-conferencing technologies. She has coordinated both center-based and in-home programs. She has also supported a private school, a preschool, and school-based services and provided parent, caregiver, and community educational opportunities.
Dr. White completed her Doctorate in Behavioral Psychology from the University of Kansas in May 2010. Her studies focused on structuring classrooms for student success and early intensive behavioral intervention for children with developmental delays.
Instructor Interaction: The instructor looks forward to interacting with learners in the online moderated discussion area to share their expertise and answer any questions you may have on the course content.
To participate in the competency activities and receive feedback from your instructor, you will need to have access to a video camera (on the phone or other device of familiarity) and be able to upload the video as an .mp4 file to the assignment pages for review. These activities are required in order to successfully pass the course.
ETS ParaPro Assessment
The ParaPro Assessment is a general aptitude test required in the states for paraprofessional certification. It also offers school districts an objective assessment of your foundation of knowledge and skills. It measures:
- skills and knowledge in reading, writing, and math
- ability to apply them when assisting in classroom instruction
See the State Requirements to see if it's required in your state.
Registered Behavior Technician (RBT)
To apply and schedule an RBT certifying exam, you have to create a BACB account to obtain a BACB ID, and meet all the following eligibility requirements:
- 18(+) years old with a high school education or equivalent
- Passed criminal background check
- Passed abuse registry check
- Completion of a 40-hour training course with a score of 80% or higher
- Successfully complete an RBT Initial Competency Assessment
- Approved application from BACB
Effective January 1, 2023, only individuals who reside in the United States (US), Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom (UK) may apply for BACB certification.
- This course can be taken on either a PC, Mac, or Chromebook.
- Video device to upload assignments within the course
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word Online
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements
The instructional materials required for this program are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Teaching in Today's Inclusive Classrooms: A Universal Design for Learning Approach, by Richard M. Gargiulo and Debbie Metcalf
- Methods and Strategies for Teaching Students with High Incidence Disabilities: A Case-Based Approach, by Joseph Boyle and David Scanlon
- Praxis ParaProfessional Study Guide: ParaPro Assessment Exam Prep with Practice Test
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive the ParaPro Interactive Practice Test to help prepare for the exam.
According to ZipRecruiter, teacher's aides assist the classroom teacher in the education of their students. They also may be required to conduct basic administrative tasks, like making copies, organizing papers, and laminating. Additional duties could include lesson preparation and setting up educational materials. Teacher's aides are often responsible for helping students with their work and helping to maintain a clean and organized classroom.
The average teacher's aide salary is $32,261, according to Glassdoor.
Teacher's aides, also known as teaching assistants, are paraprofessional educators that assist a teacher with various duties inside and outside the classroom. These duties may include supervision and care for students, along with providing students with lesson reinforcement and guidance in student studies. A teacher's aide typically monitors behavior, manages the paperwork, and performs recordkeeping duties.
Requirements for working as a teacher's aide vary by state. Some states require additional training, some college credits, or a paraprofessional certificate.
Yes, this course prepares for the ETA ParaPro Assessment.
The RBT course meets all the BACB eligibility requirements including the 40-hour training and Initial Competency Assessment. A background check is also included in the cost of the course.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course whenever you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification. Effective January 1, 2023, only individuals who reside in the United States (US), Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom (UK) may apply for BACB certification.
After you register, you will receive 12 months to complete the course. The time allotted for completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact the student advising team to see what options you may have available to work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successfully passing the final exam, you will be awarded a certificate of completion from the school or organization that you registered with.
ed2go courses will help you gain the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. However, you should always research the job market in your area before enrolling.
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA, and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards may provide funding to take our courses. Additionally, you may qualify for financial assistance if you meet certain requirements. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us."