Explore Non-Fiction Writing Suite
Some of the most fascinating stories in the world are true stories, and non-fiction book sales are growing. Discover the best ways to tell a non-fiction story—whether as a book, a memoir, a magazine article, or in a travel piece—in the Explore Non-Fiction Writing Suite. Learn how to plan, research, write, edit, pitch, and publish your work.
University of the District of Columbia
The phrase 'stranger-than-fiction' exists for a reason. Some of the most fascinating stories are completely true, and there's a huge audience ready to read them. In fact, non-fiction book sales grew by over $6 billion from 2013-2018 with no sign of slowing down.
The Explore Non-Fiction Writing Suite covers the best ways to tell a non-fiction story: as a book, a memoir, as a magazine article, or in a travel piece.
If you dream of becoming a full-time author or just have a story to tell, Write and Publish Your Nonfiction Book will teach you how to plan, research, write, edit, and publish your masterpiece. After learning what goes into the general non-fiction book, you will learn about the art of memoir. What you produce in Write Your Life Story may find a lucrative market, just like the bestselling Rocket Boys and Angela's Ashes.
While magazines have mostly gone digital, the non-fiction essay is still a page turner. The Craft of Magazine Writing focuses on time-tested techniques for researching, writing, and pitching your work to magazines. Another highly engaging way to tell a true story is the 'travel piece.' Travel Writing will teach you how to translate what you experience in your travels into publishable articles and books.
Suite bundles are not eligible for partial drops or refunds. Transfers to other open sessions of the same course are available. Please refer to your school for additional details regarding drops, transfers, and refunds on Suite bundles.
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led online course
- 96 course hours
- Write and Publish Your Nonfiction Book
- Introduction to Nonfiction: Choosing Your Topic
- Shaping Your Book Idea
- Your Audience, Title, and Style
- Research, Interviewing, and Immersion
- Organization and Structure
- Nonfiction Writing Tips and Techniques
- The Writer's Life: Practical Tips
- Editing and Proofreading
- Traditional Publishing: Agents, Publishers, and Submissions
- Traditional Publishing: Query Letters, Proposals, and Shortcuts
- Nontraditional Publishing
- Distribution, Publicity, and Promotions
- Write Your Life Story
- What's Your Story
- It's About You
- Finding Your Story
- Your Cast of Characters
- Starting at the Beginning
- Quick Ways to Jog Memories
- Getting Serious About Writing
- Historically Speaking
- The Interview
- Viewing your Life and giving It to the Reader
- Getting it down on Paper (or Computer)
- Publishing Options and Extras
- Travel Writing
- Overview of the Travel Market
- Keeping a Travel Writer's Journal
- Writing Travel Articles
- Writing Travel Books
- Making Plans for Travel
- Writing Techniques
- Outline Methods That Work Every Time
- Working Like a Travel Writer
- Submitting Like a Pro
- Research and Online Techniques
- Photos and Travel Writing
- Recycling Your Material
- The Craft of Magazine Writing
- Getting Started; Finding Ideas
- Getting Started; Finding Ideas (Continued)
- Getting to Know Your Market Guidebook
- Getting to Know Your Market Guidebook (Continued)
- Producing Articles; Using Email
- Producing Articles; Using Email (Continued)
- Writing Clearly; Knowing Your Reader
- Writing Clearly; Knowing Your Reader (Continued)
- Employing Sound Research Techniques
- Employing Sound Research Techniques (Continued)
- Marketing Your Articles with Spin-Offs and Revisions; Seasonal and Theme Articles
- Marketing Your Articles with Spin-Offs and Revisions; Seasonal and Theme Articles (Continued)
Eva Shaw, Ph.D. is a full-time working writer. She has authored thousands of articles, essays, and short stories and more than 70 books including "Writing the Nonfiction Book" and "Insider's Guide to San Diego." Her work has been featured in USA Today, San Diego Union Tribune, Publisher's Weekly, and others. She has won several awards, including the Book of the Year Award from the American Journal of Nursing, the Benjamin Franklin Award, and the Woman of Merit Award.
Lisa Adams is a web development expert specializing in marketing, user experience, and e-commerce. In addition to building and maintaining hundreds of websites, Lisa has helped a wide variety of clients and students to create their own sites and modify existing ones to make them more attractive and user-friendly.
Instructor Interaction: The instructor looks forward to interacting with learners in the online moderated discussion area to share their expertise and answer any questions you may have on the course content.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
A new session of each course opens every month, allowing you to enroll whenever your busy schedule permits!
Once a course session starts, two lessons will be released each week for the six-week duration of your course. You will have access to all previously released lessons until the course ends.
The interactive discussion area for each lesson automatically closes two weeks after each lesson is released, so you're encouraged to complete each lesson within two weeks of its release.
The final exam will be released on the same day as the last lesson. Once the final exam has been released, you will have two weeks plus 10 days (24 days total) to complete the final and finish any remaining lessons in your course. No further extensions can be provided beyond these 10 days.