New Manager Suite
Learn how to be an effective manager or supervisor by developing leadership skills that can help you gain the respect and admiration of others, while also allowing you to enjoy success in your career. You will also learn how to master the basics of business and organizations, the people skills required to motivate and delegate, the tools for solving problems and resolving conflicts, and the basics of communicating effectively.
Fundamentals of Supervision and Management
If you have recently been promoted to a supervisory or management position or want to learn how to become a more effective manager, this course will help you master the basics of business by learning the language of management.
You will learn how to make a successful transition from employee to manager and how to manage your time so that you can deal with the constant demands of a managerial job.
You will learn the skills required to delegate responsibility and motivate your employees. A large part of a manager's job involves getting things done through other people, and this course will help you understand how to influence and direct other people's performance.
Finally, you will learn how to solve problems and resolve conflicts so that you can accomplish your job more effectively.
Fundamentals of Supervision and Management II
What does a supervisor or a manager need to know? Have you ever felt technically prepared for a supervisor's role, yet felt defeated by all of the people issues that seem to arise? You are not alone; many people feel the same way.
In this six-week online course, you will learn how to be a more effective manager or supervisor. You will master the basics of communication, because effective communication is essential in your quest to be a good manager or supervisor.
In addition, we will discuss how you can develop your interpersonal skills, by understanding and dealing with the various people issues that arise at work. We are going to show you how you can understand various personality traits--in yourself and in others--and how they impact the ability to get the job done. These traits include emotional intelligence, the need for power, conscientiousness, agreeableness, and more.
You will be able to assess your own personality, as well as the personalities of your co-workers and boss, and you'll develop a plan of action to improve both your interpersonal skills and your work relationships.
Leadership skills can help you gain the respect and admiration of others, while also allowing you to enjoy success in your career and more control over your destiny. Contrary to popular belief, leadership skills can be learned and developed. Even if you don't hold a leadership position, this course will teach you how to use the principles of great leaders to achieve success in almost every aspect of your daily life.
Suite bundles are not eligible for partial drops or refunds. Transfers to other open sessions of the same course are available. Please refer to your school for additional details regarding drops, transfers, and refunds on Suite bundles.
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led online course
- 72 course hours
- Fundamentals of Supervision and Management
- Introduction to Managerial Work
- Making the Transition Into Management
- The Tasks of a Manager
- Managing Tasks, Performance, and Time
- Introduction to Motivation
- The Best-Known Researchers in Motivation
- Motivation Theories
- Understanding the Theories of Motivation
- Introduction to Conflict Resolution and Problem-Solving
- Models of Conflict Resolution and Problem-Solving
- Working Through Problems
- Implementing Solutions to Problems and Conflicts
- Fundamentals of Supervision and Management II
- Purposes and Elements of Communication
- Direction of Communication Flow
- Communication Media and Effective Listening
- Non-Verbal and Written Communication
- Communicating With Groups and Running Effective Meetings
- Communicating During Organizational Change
- Introduction to Interpersonal Skills
- Personality Theory and Personality Types
- Personality Conflicts
- Personality Characteristics
- The Use of Power and Situational Leadership
- Using Interpersonal Skills Throughout Your Career
- Leadership Qualities and Models
- Leadership Responsibilities
- Value-Centered Leadership
- Leadership Self-Assessment
- Leadership Skills: Team Building
- Leadership Skills: Communication
- Leadership Skills: Coaching or Mentoring
- Leadership Application (Personal): Behavioral Styles
- Leadership Application (Personal): Influence and Collaboration
- Leadership Application (Professional): Providing Strategic Vision
- Leadership Application (Professional): Creating/Changing Culture
- Leadership Application (Professional): Facilitating Creative Thinking
Patricia Addesso has worked for over 20 years in retail, academic and telecommunications organizations. She has a doctorate in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and well-grounded in the theory of human behavior at work. In addition, she has held management positions in three companies, and thus "speaks the language" of upper management. This blend of the theoretical and the practical is the hallmark of her consulting style. Dr. Addesso's specialty is organization development and team building. She has been involved in managing mergers, acquisitions, and other large-scale organizational changes, and is currently involved in projects such as strategic planning and personality assessments.
Lynne Morton is a management consultant and executive coach with 20 years of experience helping individuals and organizations improve their performance. Her professional experience includes having served as an Associate Director at PricewaterhouseCoopers, a Vice President at Seabury & Smith (Marsh & McLennan), and an Account Supervisor at Burson-Marsteller.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.