Certified Professional Life Coach (Exam Included)
The Certified Professional Life Coach course teaches the Core Competencies of the International Coach Federations (ICF). The ICF is the leading organization dedicated to advancing the coaching profession through high standards, independent certification, and a worldwide network of trained coaching professionals. You will learn ICF-recognized protocols and use these to build your own distinctive coaching style.
This course also incorporates the International Association of Professional Recovery...
George Mason University
What you will learn
- To guide people through a dynamic coaching process from start to finish.
- To set the foundation for coaching relationships using a formal coaching agreement.
- To apply the application of ethical practices and standards to your business.
- To develop your own personal coaching presence, style, and communication system.
- To help your clients clarify their purpose, goals, plans, and actions.
- To launch your own coaching practice using strategies that best fit your style.
- To develop an Envisioning Possibilities statement for your practice client
- To develop a comprehensive business plan
How you will benefit
- Mastering self-awareness and self-discovery exercises are foundational to your life coaching career.
- Earning a life coach certificate from a reputable institution builds your credibility.
- Working with a practice client will help you establish a unique and individual coaching style.
- Learning business strategies from successful life coaches is the first step to building your clientele base.
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 40 course hours
- Awareness and Mindful Intention
- Introduction to LCE
- Setting Your Intention
- How to Earn your CPC Credential
- History of Modern Coaching
- Power of a Professional Code of Ethics
- Coaching Roles and Personal Qualities
- Personal Qualities of Outstanding Coaches
- Reasons to Hire a Coach
- Awareness and Mindful Intention, Pt. 2
- Focus on You
- Life Metaphors
- Your Life's Purpose
- My Life Circle
- Listening and Building Rapport
- Standards of Practice and Rules of Engagement
- Coaching YOUR Practice Client
- Action Tools and Skills
- Tools and Assessments
- Positive Psychology
- Personality Profiles
- More Assessments for Coaching
- Coaching Conversation Dynamics, Pt. 1
- Coaching Conversation Dynamics, Pt. 2
- Our Stories
- The Three Potentials
- The Coaching Cycle
- Coaching Sessions
- ICF Core Competencies
- Action Tools and Skills, Pt. 2
- Ethical Guidelines and Professional Standards
- Establishing the Coaching Agreement
- Trust and Intimacy
- Coaching Presence
- Active Listening
- Powerful Questioning
- Direct Communication
- Creating Awareness
- Designing Actions
- Planning and Goal Setting
- Managing Progress and Accountability
- Assumptions and Deeper Insight
- Wellbeing: Positive Psychology Evolves
- The Johari Window and Self Discovery
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0
- The Value of Values
- My Ideal Life
- Shifting Perspective
- The "A" Word
- The Heart of the Matter
- Freeze it! The Antidote to Anxiety
- Freeze Frame Exercise
- Sharing My Success
- The Bedrock of Success: E+R=O
- Self-Responsibility and Self-Esteem
- The Last Resort in Self-Responsibility
- Imagination: The Power to Shift
- How I Scare Myself
- Clean Up Your Messes
- 20 Things I Love to Do
- Uncommon Appreciation
- Accelerate Your Business Launch
- Establish Your Business on Purpose
- Envision Your Ideal Business
- Make a Statement: Clarify Your Mission
- Plan for Success: Begin with the End in Mind
- Counting the Cost Quick Start
- New Beginnings: Starting Small
- Setting Your Coaching Fees
- Four Strategies for Going the Distance
- Finding Your Niche
- Your Ideal Client is Waiting
- My Ideal Client's Name is …
- Accelerate Your Business Launch, Pt. 2
- Six Strengths to Leverage Your Credibility
- Start with Low Hanging Fruit
- Use Your Voice to Define Your Expertise
- Strategic Networking
- Position Your Expertise
- Marketing and Promotion
- Referrals: The Road to Riches
- Creating Your Marketing Plan
Jean LaCour, Ph.D., is a Certified Prevention Professional, author, and a trainer with extensive experience in the addiction recovery field. She is the co-founder of the NET Training Institute Center for Addiction and Recovery Education, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt nonprofit corporation offering online training in addiction counseling, peer specialist support, and recovery support services.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC, Chromebook, or Mac.
- Speakers or headphones
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Yes. Upon successful completion of the final exam within the course, you will receive the Certified Professional Coach (CPC) certification. This credential is issued through the International Association of Professional Recovery Coaches (IAPRC).
A certified professional life coach is someone who partners with clients to undertake a thought-provoking and creative approach to inspire them to become their best personal and professional selves.
The field of life coaching is growing quickly. Still, it is not currently regulated by any state or federal organization—meaning there are not currently any licensing requirements to enter the field. Anyone who wants to be a life coach can pursue the profession, but certification will show others that you have specific, professional training and are serious about your career and coaching abilities.
According to the 2016 ICF Global Coaching Study conducted by the International Coach Federation (ICF), coach practitioners (a designation that excludes athletic or sports coaches) reported an average annual income from coaching of around $61,900. Payscale.com reports that life coaches in the United States earn nearly $36 per hour on average. A 2014 Forbes article listed registered life coaches as one of the "Surprising Six-Figure Jobs," with an estimated 20% of them making over $100,000 each year!
The profession is growing exponentially as demand increases. According to the ICF, there were only around 1,500 life coach members in the organization in 1999. By the year 2013, this had risen to well over 17,000 coaches across 34 countries, and in 2015, there were 17,500 coach practitioners in North America alone.
Life coaches specialize in helping you identify specific actions you need to take to make improvements in your personal or professional life and then help you mobilize to achieve goals. They are people who will hold you accountable and keep you motivated as you strive to change for the better. They are not professionals qualified to provide mental health care like therapists.
Therapists are professionals who help those with mental health care needs, such as healing from emotional pain, feelings of being overwhelmed in life, seeking peace and clarity, and creating a safe space to figure things out.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact the student advising team to see what options you may have available to work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.