Certificate in Healthcare and Eldercare
This course provides you with the skills needed to become a practicing mediator specializing in healthcare or eldercare disputes. It provides training in the INACCORD conflict resolution model, and offers you the chance to practice your skills through simulated roleplaying exercises. Additional specialized training will cover healthcare and eldercare topics including bioethics, family-provider disputes, elder abuse, and common billing and insurance conflicts. Upon successful completion,...
George Mason University
What you will learn
- Articulate the use of the INACCORD Conflict Analysis model for use in healthcare and eldercare mediation
- Examine the Three Phases and Four Stages of the INACCORD model
- Explore the pre-interview and post interview phases of the INACCORD mediation as applied to health and eldercare disputes
- Apply the Touchstone Skills of questioning, reflecting, and reframing to simulated mediation cases
- Apply INACCORD surveys to simulated cases and analyze the results
- Examine ways the healthcare system and eldercare issues generate conflict
- Understand theories related to healthcare and family systems and apply concepts to healthcare/eldercare disputes
- Identify common healthcare and eldercare disputes and the various roles played by involved parties
- Understand the mental and physical effects of aging and apply mediation to specific issues
- Demonstrate an understanding of mediation ethics and bioethical standards as they apply to healthcare and eldercare issues
How you will benefit
- Receive four individual certificates in Mediation, Applied Mediation Practice, Health and Eldercare Mediation and Professional Health and Eldercare Mediator
- Prepare to work in a hospital, nursing home, assisted living facility, research lab, private practice, insurance company, and more
- Better the lives of the aging population by helping clients resolve conflicts
- Help families navigate aging and end of life issues while preserving their lifelong relationships
- Embark on a meaningful career that will be fulfilling both professionally and personally
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 6 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 240 course hours
- INACCORD Mediation Certificate
- Justice and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Overview of INACCORD Conflict Analysis Model
- Phases and Stages of the INACCORD Conflict Analysis Model
- The Touchstone Skills Part I
- The Touchstone Skills Part II
- Crafting the Memorandum of Agreement
- Special Issues In Mediation
- Legal Processes and Ethics
- INACCORD Applied Practice
- INACCORD Conflict Analysis in Practice
- Touchstone Skills in Practice
- INACCORD Demo Practice
- Facilitating INACCORD Phase Two, Stage 1 Interventions
- Facilitating the INACCORD Caucus
- INACCORD Phase Two, Stages 2 & 3 Interventions
- INACCORD Phase Two, Stage 4 Interventions
- Ethical Dilemmas and Mitigation
- Healthcare and Eldercare Mediation
- Common Conflicts in Health and Eldercare
- The Field of Eldercare Mediation
- The Bioethics Mediation Process
- Probate and Trust Mediation
- Family Mediation Skills
- Workplace Disputes in Healthcare and Elder Mediation
- Systems Theory and Organizational Development
- Conflicts within the Health Insurance Industry
Brian Luther is a Colorado licensed attorney and certified mediator and arbitrator. He has more than 15 years of mediation and dispute resolution experience. He spent eight years supervising and mentoring attorneys at LexisNexis, a leading legal research corporation and over five years as Lead Trainer and Internship Supervisor for Mediators Without Borders. Luther presides as an impartial Hearing Officer for the City of Longmont, Colorado and was just appointed as an alternate board member for the City of Longmont Board of Adjustments & Appeals. He is a graduate of Rutgers University and has a law degree from the New England School of Law.
You must be able to use a browser and Microsoft Word to complete the assignments and navigate the online campus. You should have basic computer skills and be comfortable navigating the Internet and using email. You must be willing to learn to write at a professional level in order to generate contracts and fulfill various written tasks related to mediation and restorative justice.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- You need a microphone to participate in the role play practices.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- In Justice, INACCORD
- Touchstone Skills
- Bioethics Mediation
Please note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you'll receive six (6) months to complete the course.
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact the student advising team to see what options you may have available to work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions and provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also receive support from the student advising team.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded individual certificates of completion for each course and an overall certificate for the course completion.
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. Potential students should always do research on the job market in their area before registering.
This course is non-credit, so it does not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us" form.