Senior Professional in Human Resources with Payroll Practice and Management
Senior HR professionals play a critical role in managing the strategic vision of a human resources department. This online course bundle will help you advance your career in human resources to a more senior level.
The Senior Professional in Human Resources course will prepare you for the Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR) exam, which measures your ability to manage and lead HR processes. You will gain skills in the five primary areas of an HR department: Business Management and Strategy,...
Association of Executive and Administrative Professionals
What you will learn
- Understand the job duties and pay of a senior human resources professional
- Learn the core knowledge and the functional areas of the SPHR exam.
- Know how to formulate and execute a strategic plan for your department and the organization
- Understand how to monitor your organization's progress in hiring, retaining, and promoting people who are in protected categories
- Participate in talent and performance management as a senior human resources professional
- Know your role in various aspects of labor legislation and labor relations
- Identify various laws and regulations that affect employers in their payroll operations
- Identify the various deductions, both voluntary and involuntary, that are taken out of employees' gross pay
- Calculate gross and net pay
- Explain the use of the forms required to withhold, deposit, and report federal income taxes
- Recognize dates and regulations to ensure payroll compliance and reporting
- Understand the payroll process and supporting systems and administration
- Correctly apply payroll policies and procedures of a payroll department
- Journalize payroll transactions and post to appropriate general ledger accounts
- Be able to process a payroll from start to finish (payroll project)
How you will benefit
- Prepare for a career as an HR manager, HR director, chief HR officer, or HR business partner
- Work toward earning your Senior Professional Human Resources certification (SPHR) Administered by Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) and/or SHRM-SCP (Senior Certified Professional) Administered by SHRM (Society for Human Resources Management)
- Learn the legal and communication skills needed to succeed in human resources
- Be prepared to pass the FPC exam, and become certified in the fundamentals of payroll
- Having a certification in payroll is a desirable attribute that many employers seek in payroll candidates
- With certification comes additional knowledge and skill that is not often taught in the workplace
- Be able to search and apply for payroll jobs, with the additional resume skills
How the course is taught
- Self-paced, online course
- 12 Months to complete
- Open enrollment, begin anytime
- 220 course hours
- Senior Professional in Human Resources
- The World of the HR Manager
- Core Knowledge Requirements
- Business Strategy and Management
- Workforce Planning and Employment, Part 1
- Workforce Planning and Employment, Part 2
- Developing Human Resources Within an Organization
- Compensation and Benefits
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Risk Management
- Employee Rights and Discipline
- International Human Resources
- Implementing HR Strategy, High Performance Work Systems
- Getting Ready for Your Certification Exam
- Payroll Practice and Management
- Introduction to Payroll
- Determining Worker Status
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Federal Employment Taxes
- Payroll Forms
- Fringe Benefits – Tax-Preferred and Other Related Health Benefits
- Fringe Benefits – Deferred Comp, Retirement Plans, and Stock Options
- Other Employee Benefits
- Calculating Gross Wages
- Calculating Gross Pay – Additional Topics
- Paycheck Calculation – Taxes
- Paycheck Calculation – Voluntary and Involuntary Deductions
- Gross to Net Paycheck Calculation
- Compliance – Laws and Reporting
- Global Payroll
- Payroll Process and Systems, and Audits
- Paying the Employee
- Payroll Administration and Management
- Basic Accounting
- Exploring Payroll Careers
- Exam Preparation
- Payroll Project
Anna Smith has worked in the field of human resources for 30 years and has taught at university level for over 20 years. She holds a bachelor's degree in business administration from Spalding University, a master's degree in management from Webster University, and a Master Online Teaching certificate from the University of Illinois. She is also a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources and a SHRM Senior Certified Professional. Her experience spans many areas of human resources including recruitment, labor relations, and affirmative action plans.
Helene K. Liatsos is business advisor and QuickBooks Certified Advisor with more than 25 years of experience. She consults for a range of companies, from travel agencies to startups. Her company Home Office Management Experts was awarded the 2004 Home-Based Business of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration. Helene holds a Bachelor of Arts from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
This course will prepare you to sit for the HRCI (Human Resources Certification Institute) SPHR exam. In order to qualify for the SPHR Certification, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Have at least four years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a master's degree or higher, or
- Have at least five years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a bachelor's degree, or
- Have at least seven years of experience in a professional-level HR position + a high school diploma
This course will also prepare you to sit for the SHRM (Society for Human Resources) SHRM-SCP exam. The qualifications to sit for this exam are:
- HR Related program + 6 years a professional-level HR position, or
- 7 years in a professional-level HR position with no HR related program, or
- HR-related bachelor's degree + 4 years in HR role, or
- Non-HR bachelor's degree + 5 years in HR role, or
- HR-related graduate degree + 3 years in HR role, or
- Non-HR graduate degree + 4 years in HR role
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Managing Human Resources
- PHR/SPHR Professional in Human Resources Certification Deluxe Study Guide
Yes, ed2go courses are completely online. However, keep in mind that not all certifying bodies or industry-specific certifications are recognized internationally. Please review your country's regulations prior to enrolling in courses that prepare for certification.
Yes. You will be prepared to sit for the Senior Professional Human Resources certification (SPHR) exam, administered by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) and the SHRM-SCP (Senior Certified Professional) exam.
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course whenever you are ready. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
After you register, you will receive 12 months to complete the course. The time allotted for completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours.
If you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee will be charged. If you are funded through a third-party organization, approval may also be required.
The course instructor will be available by email to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. Occasionally, your course may be supported by a team of industry experts. You will also be assigned a Student Advisor for academic support.
Upon successfully passing the final exam, you will be awarded a certificate of completion from the school or organization that you registered through.
ed2go courses will help you gain the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. However, you should always research the job market in your area before enrolling.
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA, and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards may provide funding to take our courses. Additionally, you may qualify for financial assistance if you meet certain requirements. Learn more about financial assistance.
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, representatives are available via LIVE chat. You can also call us at 1-877-221-5151 during regular business hours to have your questions promptly answered. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please send us a question using the "Contact Us."